University of Miami School of Law CourseLink Course Description - Online System
 StudentLink New   Concentration/Area of Focus Registration New     Attendance System New
Print

Fall 2020
LAW787  A  STREET LAW I

Course Description
Miami STREET LAW is a legal education outreach from the University of Miami School of Law. Through this program, law students teach law weekly at local high schools using interactive formats such as mock trials, moot court exercises and case studies. The UM program is one of over 90 registered Street law clinics/programs through STREET LAW, Inc. See www.streetlaw.org The “Street Lawyers” will teach in Government, History, Economics and Law classes at eight different schools in Miami Dade County. They research and teach legal issues which supplement the teacher's lessons as well as coach teams for law related competitions.

Course Schedule
None

Course Frequency
This course is usually offered once every academic year

Course Information

Credits: 2
Pass/Fail Option: Yes
Prerequisite:
Grading: Graded
Method of Evaluation: The Street Law clinical work will comprise 80% of the course grade: project performance 30 points; research/writing/presentations 30 points [3 lessons minimum required]; leadership/mentoring 20 points. The other 20% will be for class participation.. There is no final examination.
Graduation Requirements Fulfilled By Course:
General
Special Attributes: None
Course Delivery:
Online (synchronous and asynchronous)
Special Restrictions: Class is by application
Law Track(s): None
Bar Subject(s): None
Concentration(s): None
Course Book(s):
Textbook Required:
No     
First Class Assignment(s):
  • Assignment: There will not be a first class assignment.

    Additional Information:
    Please make yourself available for the Orientation scheduled for Wednesday, August 19th at 12:00pm EST via Zoom. Prof. Tamayo has emailed you the link for the meeting. Thank you.
      

 
Professor(s)

TAMAYO, JESSI


Biography
Contact Information:
Email: jtamayo@law.miami.edu
Phone: (305)284-3870
Office: A312